We are looking for Designers like you.
Cast On has several regular features. Projects related to these topics are always welcome.
- Fashion Framework discusses a particular type of garment or project.
- Stitch Anatomy discusses a stitch pattern.
- Learn Something New discusses a specific technique and provides a simple pattern for a small project. Past topics have been Beading and Shadow Knitting.
- Pattern From a Member is restricted to a TKGA member. We give precedence to those working on the Master Hand Knitting program.
- Special Topics in Finishing.
- Special Topics in Design.
- Technical articles. We are always interested in articles discussing knitting history and traditions, new ways of doing things, and in depth treatment of techniques
Our intention is to have a range of projects in each issue. Proposals for sweaters, accessories, designs for children and babies, and household items. Cast On is not “seasonal”. Our members live all around the world in very different climates. They also are interested in seeing projects for upcoming seasons.
Here is the Design Calendar for the upcoming issues of Cast On Magazine:
Winter 2023-2024 Issue
Call for Designs Sent July 10
Proposals Due July 31
Designers Notified August 6
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts August 6-11
Designs and Patterns Due October 10
Publication Date November 1
- Fashion Framework – Swedish Doublemassa Hat
- Stitch Anatomy – Intarsia
- Learn Something New – Estimating Yarn for Cast On
- Special Topics in Finishing – Buttonholes Part 3
- Special Topics in Design – Designing for Children
Spring 2024 Issue
Call for Designs Sent October 6
Proposals Due October 30
Designers Notified November 6
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts November 6-10
Designs and Patterns Due January 9
Publication Date February 1
- Fashion Framework – Triangle Shawls
- Stitch Anatomy – Double Knitting
- Learn Something New – Reading and Understanding Charts
- Special Topics in Finishing – Applied I-cords
- Special Topics in Design – Tie Closures
Summer 2024 Issue
Call for Designs Sent January 5
Proposals Due February 2
Designers Notified February 6
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts February 6-15
Designs and Patterns Due April 8
Publication Date May 1
- Fashion Framework – Center-out/Semicircular Shawls
- Stitch Anatomy – Trinity Stitch
- Learn Something New – Fleegle Heels
- Special Topics in Finishing – Afterthought Buttonholes
- Special Topics in Design – Mesh Fabrics
Call for Designs Sent April 5
Proposals Due May 3
Designers Notified May 8
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts May 8-13
Designs and Patterns Due July 8
Publication Date August 1
- Fashion Framework – Toe-up Socks
- Stitch Anatomy – Bobbles
- Learn Something New – Jogless Join
- Special Topics in Finishing – Embroidery on Knitted Fabric
- Special Topics in Design – Ganseys
This schedule may change without notice. The Design Call will include details on the Stitch Anatomy and Fashion Framework for that issue as well as other information for specific design focus.