We are looking for Designers like you.
Cast On has several regular features. Projects related to these topics are always welcome.
- Fashion Framework discusses a particular type of garment or project.
- Stitch Anatomy discusses a stitch pattern.
- Learn Something New discusses a specific technique and provides a simple pattern for a small project. Past topics have been Beading and Jogless Joins.
- Pattern From a Member is restricted to a TKGA member. We give precedence to those working on the Master Hand Knitting or Master Machine Knitting Program.
- Special Topics in Finishing.
- Technical articles. We are always interested in articles discussing knitting history and traditions, new ways of doing things, and in depth treatment of techniques
Our intention is to have a range of projects in each issue. Proposals for sweaters, accessories, designs for children and babies, and household items. Cast On is not “seasonal”. Our members live all around the world in very different climates. They also are interested in seeing projects for upcoming seasons.
Here is the Design Calendar for the upcoming issues of Cast On Magazine:
Fall 2021 Issue
Call for Designs Sent March 25
Proposals Due April 23
Designers Notified May 3
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts May 8
Designs and Patterns Due July 14
Publication Date August 1
- Fashion Framework – Norwegian Mittens
- Stitch Anatomy – Knitting into Rows Below
- Learn Something New – Applied Edgings
- Special topics in finishing – Bands and Facing with Buttonholes, Part 2
Call for Designs Sent July 9
Proposals Due July 30
Designers Notified August 4
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts August 4 – August 11
Designs and Patterns Due October 8
Publication Date November 1
- Fashion Framework – Capes/capelets
- Stitch Anatomy – Bobbles
- Learn Something New – Joining Yarn
- Special topics in finishing – Tassels and Fringe
Spring 2022 Issue
Call for Designs Sent October 8
Proposals Due October 28
Designers Notified November 2
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts November 3-10
Designs and Patterns Due January 10
Publication Date February 1
- Fashion Framework – Knee Socks
- Stitch Anatomy – Seed Stitch
- Learn Something New – Cabling without Cable Needle
- Special topics in finishing – Seaming a Set-In Sleeve
Call for Designs Sent January 10
Proposals Due January 24
Designers Notified January 31
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts February 1-10
Designs and Patterns Due April 7
Publication Date May 1
- Fashion Framework – Beach Cover Up
- Stitch Anatomy – Herringbone Stitch
- Learn Something New – Stretchy COs and BOs
- Special topics in finishing – Rolled Bands
Fall 2022 Issue
Call for Designs Sent April 4
Proposals Due April 25
Designers Notified May 2
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts May 3-9
Designs and Patterns Due July 11
Publication Date August 1
- Fashion Framework – Bust and Waist Shaping
- Stitch Anatomy – Colorwork with Short Rows
- Learn Something New – Lifelines in Cables
- Special topics in finishing – Crocheted Duplicate Stitch
This schedule may change without notice. The Design Call will include details on the Stitch Anatomy and Fashion Framework for that issue as well as other information for specific design focus.