We are looking for Designers like you.
Cast On has several regular features. Projects related to these topics are always welcome.
- Fashion Framework discusses a particular type of garment or project.
- Stitch Anatomy discusses a stitch pattern.
- Learn Something New discusses a specific technique and provides a simple pattern for a small project. Past topics have been Beading and Jogless Joins.
- Pattern From a Member is restricted to a TKGA member. We give precedence to those working on the Master Hand Knitting or Master Machine Knitting Program.
- Special Topics in Finishing.
- Technical articles. We are always interested in articles discussing knitting history and traditions, new ways of doing things, and in depth treatment of techniques
Our intention is to have a range of projects in each issue. Proposals for sweaters, accessories, designs for children and babies, and household items. Cast On is not “seasonal”. Our members live all around the world in very different climates. They also are interested in seeing projects for upcoming seasons.
Here is the Design Calendar for the upcoming issues of Cast On Magazine:
Call for Designs Sent July 10
Proposals Due July 29
Designers Notified August 5
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts August 5-16
Garments and Patterns Due October 1
Publication Date November 1
- Fashion Framework – Pleats
- Stitch Anatomy – Entrelac
- Learn Something New – Armenian Knitting
- Special topics in finishing – Seaming Brioche
Call for Designs Sent October 10
Proposals Due October 28
Designers Notified October 31
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts November 1-11
Designs and Patterns Due January 8
Publication Date February 1
- Fashion Framework – Set in Sleeves and Sleeve Caps
- Stitch Anatomy – Slip Stitches
- Learn Something New – Cast On and Bind Off
- Special topics in finishing – Integrating Shaping into Lace Patterns
Call for Designs Sent January 10
Proposals Due January 24
Designers Notified January 28
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts January 29- February 10
Designs and Patterns Due April 8
Publication Date May 1
- Fashion Framework – Saddle Shoulders
- Stitch Anatomy – Mosaic
- Learn Something New – Latvian Braid
- Special topics in finishing – Seaming Saddle Shoulders
Fall 2020 Issue
Call for Designs Sent April 10
Proposals Due April 24
Designers Notified April 27
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts April 28-May 8
Designs and Patterns Due July 10
Publication Date August 1
- Fashion Framework – Collars
- Stitch Anatomy – Center Out Knitting
- Learn Something New – Grafting stitch patterns
- Special topics in finishing – V-neck Bands
This schedule may change without notice. The Design Call will include details on the Stitch Anatomy and Fashion Framework for that issue as well as other information for specific design focus.