We are looking for Designers like you.
Cast On has several regular features. Projects related to these topics are always welcome.
- Fashion Framework discusses a particular type of garment or project.
- Stitch Anatomy discusses a stitch pattern.
- Learn Something New discusses a specific technique and provides a simple pattern for a small project. Past topics have been Beading and Jogless Joins.
- Pattern From a Member is restricted to a TKGA member. We give precedence to those working on the Master Hand Knitting program.
- Special Topics in Finishing.
- Technical articles. We are always interested in articles discussing knitting history and traditions, new ways of doing things, and in depth treatment of techniques
Our intention is to have a range of projects in each issue. Proposals for sweaters, accessories, designs for children and babies, and household items. Cast On is not “seasonal”. Our members live all around the world in very different climates. They also are interested in seeing projects for upcoming seasons.
Here is the Design Calendar for the upcoming issues of Cast On Magazine:
Spring 2023 Issue
Call for Designs Sent October 6
Proposals Due October 29
Designers Notified November 8
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts November 8-16
Designs and Patterns Due January 5
Publication Date February 1
- Fashion Framework – Lace Shawls
- Stitch Anatomy – Lace and Yarnovers
- Learn Something New – Nupps
- Special Topics in Finishing – Grafting Garter Stitch
- Special Topics in Design – Schematics
Call for Designs Sent January 6
Proposals Due February 9
Designers Notified February 13
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts February 6-15
Designs and Patterns Due April 10
Publication Date May 1
- Fashion Framework – Tanks and Sleeveless Tees
- Stitch Anatomy – Bias Knitting
- Learn Something New – Sock Toes
- Special Topics in Finishing – Buttonholes, Part 1
- Special Topics in Design – Aran Sweaters, Part 1
Call for Designs Sent April 11
Proposals Due May 1
Designers Notified May 9
Yarn Acquisition and Contracts May 9-17
Designs and Patterns Due July 11*
Publication Date August 1
- Fashion Framework – Ruanas
- Stitch Anatomy – Steeks
- Learn Something New – Shadow Knitting
- Special Topics in Finishing – Buttonholes, Part 2
- Special Topics in Design – Aran Sweaters, Part 2
This schedule may change without notice. The Design Call will include details on the Stitch Anatomy and Fashion Framework for that issue as well as other information for specific design focus.
*The date for the photo shoot has not been set yet. This date will probably change.
More information about our requirements can be found here. If you would like to be added to the Design Call, please click here or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .