Call for Designs
Cast On, The Educational Journal for Knitters, is the official publication of The Knitting Guild Association (TKGA). As of the Winter 2016-2017 issue, it is a online-only publication available to our members at TKGA.org. We are a registered 501(c)(3) dedicated to the education of knitters and we want our publication to reflect that mission.
To see the publication, go to TKGA.org, select Member Resources and enter your User Name and Password.
Cast On has several regular features. Projects related to these topics are always welcome.
- Fashion Framework discusses a particular type of garment or project. For this issue, the topic is tanks and sleeveless tees.
- Stitch Anatomy discusses a stitch pattern. For this issue the topic is bias knitting.
- Pattern From a Member is restricted to a TKGA member. We give precedence to those working on the Master Hand Knitting Program or other TKGA programs. We do not have a design selected for this category as yet.
- Special Topics in Finishing – Past topics have been on Zippers, Crocheted Edges and Applied I-cords. This issue features buttonholes.
- Special Topics in Design – The topic for this issue is Aran sweaters.
- Learn Something New – The topic for this issue is sock toes.
- Technical articles – We are always interested in articles discussing knitting history and traditions, new ways of doing things, and in-depth treatment of techniques.
Do not limit your proposals to these categories. Our intention is to have a range of projects in each issue. Proposals for sweaters, accessories, designs for children, babies, and men plus household items are welcomed. Cast On is not “seasonal”. Our members live all around the world in very different climates.
The due date for proposals is February 9, 2023. Decisions will be made by February 13, 2023. The tentative due date for patterns and garments is April 10, 2023. This date is firm. The garment is returned to the designer after the photo shoot and the designer will be given links to all photographs for their own use. The rights to patterns revert to the designer one year after publication.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at the email below. I am looking forward to seeing your designs!
Arenda Holladay, Editor
Cast On Magazine/The Educational Journal for Knitters
Disclaimer: Garments selected for Cast On must be sized and constructed as requested. Written materials must meet professional standards of proofreading and editing. Items needing minor alteration/revision will be returned to you for adjustment if time permits. Items needing significant alteration/revision will be rejected for final publication in the magazine. We issue payment for designs and written materials only if they are accepted for final publication in Cast On.