We’re looking for great designers like you for the Summer issue of Cast On.
Cast On, The Educational Journal for Knitters, is the official publication of The Knitting Guild Association (TKGA). As of the Winter 2016-2017 issue, it is a online-only publication available to our members. We are a registered 501(c)(3) dedicated to the education of knitters and we want our publication to reflect that mission.
Due to Covid-19, since the Fall 2020 issue, in addition to proposals needing yarn support, we opened up for submissions using stash yarn. We will do the same for this issue as yarn acquisition has continued to be difficult. Please indicate in your proposal if it is for Both, Yarn Support, or Stash yarns. Stash proposals should be for accessories or home items only.
Cast On has several regular features. Projects related to these topics are always welcome.
- Fashion Framework discusses a particular type of garment or project. For this issue, the topic is hoods.
- Stitch Anatomy discusses a stitch pattern. For this issue the topic is stranded knitting.
- Pattern From a Member is restricted to a TKGA member. We give precedence to those working on the Master Hand Knitting Program or Master Machine Knitting Program. We do not have a design selected for this category as yet.
- Special Topics in Finishing. Past topics have included Double Pick-Up Bands, Zippers, Crocheted Edges and Applied I-cords. This issue features bands and facings with buttonholes.
- Learn Something New – The topic for this issue is special selvedge treatments.
- Technical articles. We are always interested in articles discussing knitting history and traditions, new ways of doing things, and in-depth treatment of techniques.
Do not limit your proposals to these categories. Our intention is to have a range of projects in each issue. Proposals for sweaters and accessories, designs for babies, children, men, and household items are welcomed. Designs for machine knitting are also welcome. Cast On is not “seasonal”. Our members live all around the world in very different climates.
The due date for proposals is January 24, 2021. Decisions will be made by January 28, 2021. The tentative due date for patterns and garments is April 7, 2021. The garment is returned to the designer after the photo shoot and the designer will be given links to all photographs for their own use. The rights to patterns revert to the designer one year after publication.
Should you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at the email below. I am looking forward to your designs.
Arenda Holladay, Editor
Cast On Magazine/The Educational Journal for Knitters
Disclaimer: Garments selected for Cast On must be sized and constructed as requested. Written materials must meet professional standards of proofreading and editing. Items needing minor alteration/revision will be returned to you for adjustment if time permits. Items needing significant alteration/revision will be rejected for final publication in the magazine. We issue payment for designs and written materials only if they are accepted for final publication in Cast On.